Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's for Dinner



My absolute favorite time of the year to cook is fall. I have free reign to make any soup I can come up with, and even attempt to bake (which is almost ALWAYS a FAIL!). Typically we grocery shop a week or two at a time. Being a family of 6 on a very strict budget means that my grocery list must be VERY detailed, with little to no wiggle room for extras.
Our meal planning starts with everyone picking 1-3 dinners (depending on how much shopping we are doing). By letting everyone pick a few dinners, there is less distress on the nights I'm making something that isn't exactly their favorite. Knowing that a meal they picked is just a night or two away somehow makes it bearable! After all dinners are chosen, I break down each meal into ingredients. I then see what, if any, items we already have. Lunch, breakfast and snacks are usually left to my discretion and I do the same with them.
After all items are listed, I complete my grocery list by sorting it into departments (Produce, market, frozen, etc.) And I sometimes go as far as to make an estimated total so I know what I'm working with! This seems like a lot of work to some, but it ensures that with my small budget, I come home with meals and not random groceries.
I will say that Fall sometimes means that I get to pick more meals than everyone else...sometimes my kids and hubby just don't have enough sense to pick Chicken Noodle Soup EVERY week! So I do it for them ;)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! We are feeding a family of seven on a tiny budget also. Although I have to admit that soup making is a newly acquired skill for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a HORRIBLE recipe follower so I love making soup! I literally throw in whatever we have since my kids will eat almost any veggie if its in a soup :) I wish I had your canning abilities, I'm going to get Michelle to teach me so I can try!

    ReplyDelete